Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Working from a Position of "Rest"



In the Spring of 2001 God began impressing me to make a Prayer Garden out of my backyard. It was to be a place of sanctuary—to reflect what He had been teaching me about His “rest” as I waited on Him…

As I “toiled” tirelessly in my garden to make the vision God gave me a reality, I found I was “working” from a position of “rest.” Although the work tested my physical endurance at times, it was always a joy to be part of what God was doing to bless others. I never felt I was performing or that the work I was doing needed His approval, because I was in His presence continually. Daily I was energized by the Spirit to continue the “work.” Constantly the Spirit led me and showed me what to do next.

Through this experience of working in my garden to make it a place of beauty and sanctuary for others I learned how to enter into His Garden where the “work” has already been done. As I entered by faith into the “rest” of His grace I found that it is a place where no “work” is allowed. For in His Garden the “work” is already finished! The only thing left for me to do is to enjoy sweet fellowship with Him as I hear Him calling me upon the gentle wind of His Spirit to enter more fully into the “rest” that he has already provided... Himself!

Then from this place of “resting” in Him He shows me the “work” He has prepared in advance for me to do. From this place of “rest” where I abide in His presence continually, I “work”. But it is not like the “work” I use to perform under the old covenant—it is not heavy or burdensome, because His yoke it easy and His burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).

Whenever I go into my garden and hear the soft cooing of turtledoves in the late afternoon hours, I am reminded of how the Holy Spirit is drawing each one of us to come into His Garden and find true intimacy as we enter into the “rest” of His grace.

Can you hear the Lord calling you to come into His Garden to rest? He is waiting for you with outstretched arms. He has placed you like a seal over His heart because His desire is always for you (Song of Solomon 8:6; 7:10).

“Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land… Arise, come my darling; my beautiful one, come with me” (Song of Solomon 2:10-13).

God is calling us to come into His Garden and find true rest in Him. As we linger in His presence and enjoy close intimacy with Him, He will heal our brokenness and restore our soul.

See: The Righteousness the Saves Me

1 comment:

  1. How lovely, Hazel. God has given me a vision to create a prayer garden. I went on a retreat last year and there was a prayer garden there. It was beautiful and very restful. I would love to know how you have arranged your garden.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete