Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Gentleness

By Hazel Holland


I painted this watercolor without any picture in front of me, and I just let the colors run where they wanted to.  Only recently have I begun doing this kind of painting, so it is still very new to me.  But it is so rewarding and so much fun, because I never know where it will lead, and what the picture will look like when I'm finished.

Most people don't know the struggle I often go through when I pick up the brush to paint... Most of the time I have no idea how to do what I feel called to to.  So I'm very dependent upon the Spirit to guide me as I paint, and in my choice of subject matter. 

That's why I pray as I paint.  I follow the leading of the Holy Spirit as I sense that perhaps God has something to say to someone through my paintings.  All I know is that I want the world to know how high and how low, how deep and how wide is the love of God for even the vilest of sinners.  And if I can convey something about His love and goodness towards us in my paintings then that is what I want to do.

See link: Be Harmless As Doves

2 comments:

  1. It's very interesting for me to realize now that though your garden in Riverside is gone, it actually isn't... it's alive in you! You are His garden, and wherever you go there is an "English garden" that He uses to help others experience His rest in! Did you realize that as you worked on that garden, that it was a picture of *you* yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! No, I never realized that my garden... in all the different stages that it went through as I worked on it... was a picture of myself... a picture of my learning to trust His love and rest in His heart... I have to admit that resting in His grace while trying to get rid of that "vine from hell" that was taking over the English garden was... hell! :-)

    ReplyDelete