Monday, January 14, 2013

More Feathered Friends

By Hazel Holland

We had another four or five inches of snow last night, so I was out shoveling my driveway again this morning until my fingers became numb!  This cold weather sure does bring out all kinds of birds in search of food.  

Today I noticed some new feathered friends joined the community of starlings and sparrows that I feed.  I like to think they're doves, because they remind me of the morning doves that I use to feed back in California...  But I'll have to admit these birds do look more like pigeons...  

Yesterday I was successful in getting several pictures of a red flicker.  At first I saw him crammed inside my wrought iron bird feeder outside my back door, but he had moved by the time I got my camera and was standing on the chain link fence ready to take off for the suet feeder in the front yard.  

Since he's so much bigger than the other birds, he was having a hard time holding on to the ledge in order to eat the suet.  Then a helpful starling stopped by to show him how to do the balancing act.  It was rather comical, and for a moment I thought both birds were going to fall off the feeder! 

I wonder what new feathered friends will visit my bird feeders tomorrow?

Whether doves or pigeons... they're gentle birds. 

They don't hog food and shove other birds out of the way like starlings do. 

Starlings and sparrows waiting for me to bring out the food!

Every morning it looks like this as soon as the food appears!

By the time I got my camera this flicker had vacated his position
 inside the wrought iron bird feeder and was perched on the fence.

Next stop for this red flicker is the suet, but
he's having a hard time holding on to the ledge.

 Until a helpful starling offers to show him how to do the balancing act!

No comments:

Post a Comment